A truck driver on the road may need many tools and other small items to repair the vehicle. Toolboxes are installed on the truck for convenient storage and safety on the road. They keep the contents protected from the environment, dirt and precipitation.
Perfect toolbox for the truck at a glance
Generally speaking, the equipment of the truck toolbox should be adapted to the skills of the motorist. If you are sure that you can change a tire in an emergency but prefer to leave the removal and installation of glow plugs or spark plugs to a mechanic or professional in the workshop of your choice, you can of course reduce your equipment in the toolbox by a few instruments.
When searching for a suitable toolbox for a truck, on the one hand, differences in the sizes offered quickly become apparent. Hobbyists who only try their hand at being a mechanic on their own car to a small extent usually opt for a smaller version.
The large truck tool cases, on the other hand, hold far more than 200 parts and are therefore also suitable for commercial or professional use.
An individually perfect tool case is therefore characterized above all by:
- the high quality of its equipment;
- robust workmanship;
- a wide space for different tools.
Toolboxes usually have a rectangular shape, they are like boxes, which have a hinged lid to be able to open and close the box without problems. On the lid you will find some latches, which can be of different materials and shapes, there are plastic ones, metal ones with holes for padlocks, and so on. A simple toolbox consists of a lid that can be opened from the side or in the middle and some removable trays to store and organize certain tools.
Despite the above, not all toolboxes are similar, there are some that use drawers that open outwards, others that have cantilevered trays and there are also those that have tool storage containers; with separator trays. Likewise, there are toolboxes that have compartments and come in sort of modular.
Toolboxes bear a great deal of weight, so their material of manufacture must be strong.
The first toolboxes were made of metal or wood, however, this made them very heavy. Nowadays, there are toolboxes made of different materials, but steel boxes are still predominant, as they are more resistant.
Types of toolboxes for the truck
All of the models presented differ in terms of manufacturer, size, shape, and method of installation, but one of the main parameters is the material of manufacture:
- Metal toolboxes on trucks are strong and durable, but they have their drawbacks. They are quite heavy, expensive, and sometimes prone to corrosion (depending on the type of metal). That said, such models have the right to exist and are also in demand.
- Plastic toolboxes on the truck are cheaper and almost as strong as their metal counterparts. The main thing is not to buy products of unknown brands at a throwaway price, which can be made of brittle short-lived plastic.
Toolbox for truck Best Choice
Best Truck Toolboxes on the market:
Rubbermaid ActionPacker️ Toolbox
TruXedo TonneauMate Toolbox
Undercover SwingCase Truck Bed Storage Box
Weather Guard Aluminum Low Profile Saddle Box
Metal toolboxes are the most widely used toolboxes nowadays. Mostly, in mechanical workshops and in a static way. They are also the main choice of those individuals who wish to transport very heavy tools, which deform plastic toolboxes.
Normally these types of boxes are used in one place only, they are not the best to move from one place to another because of their weight.
If you want to carry tools with you from one place to another, plastic boxes are recommended, as they are lighter and more manageable.
Advantages and disadvantages of metal toolboxes
This type of box has excellent advantages, they are extremely solid and resistant. Also, they come in an infinite number of sizes and models. An extra plus point for metal toolboxes is their durability.
- They are an excellent choice for those people who do not need to move from one place to another and have their tools in a specific place.
- The downside of metal tool boxes is: they are usually very heavy and difficult to transport. In addition, this material tends to rust if it is not properly maintained.
- Another point to note is that metal toolboxes can have sharp edges. These can cause damage to those who handle this element and also to the surfaces with which it comes into contact.
This material is a bestseller nowadays.
Although they are less resistant than the metal ones, these toolboxes are favorite ones. They come in a variety of models and sizes.
Advantages and disadvantages of plastic toolboxes
- The only disadvantage of plastic tool boxes is that they do not support the same amount of weight as metal and wood boxes, making them a flimsy option compared to the aforementioned.
- Despite the above, these boxes shine for their incredible benefits; they are lightweight, easy to transport, washable, have multiple compartments, and usually have a lower price in the market.
Different designs of toolboxes
In the market, you will find toolboxes with different features, which have different designs and functionalities, such as removable compartments, cantilever types, and others.
Which toolbox to choose according to its compartments? The truth is, each of these types of boxes has its specific advantages.
Toolboxes with pull-out tray
Toolboxes with a removable tray have a tray inside with a handle, which can be removed to allow tools to be dumped into the bottom of the box. You then place the tray back on top of the tools, and it can have two divisions. This allows you to better organize the items.
Extendable or cantilever type toolboxes
Cantilever tool boxes are great for organizing. They have several compartments. However, they do not pull out, but fold into the box itself thanks to an overhang. This makes it easy to see all your tools. This system of folding and unfolding trays is known as a cantilever and its main advantage is that it allows you to store many tools in very little space.
Most truck tool boxes today are made of robust plastic. This protects all utensils and is also resistant to signs of wear. However, since the selection in terms of the right automotive case can be much larger than expected, you should always use a comparison of models from different manufacturers before making the final purchase decision.